June 21st is when you can officially state that summer has started. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t get outside and enjoy this fine weather now. In fact, it’s better if you start taking advantage of the higher temperatures and spend some time in the sun! But you don’t have to just stand outside and collect the rays. There are a lot of fun activities you can do this season, especially now, as the days grow warmer and longer. Below is a list of activities you can do close to home or enjoy around your town or city as you get out and explore!
Find your green thumb! Maybe you used to be an expert gardener or you’re starting out as a novice; either way, gardening is an excellent activity for seniors to enjoy in the summer months. It helps you get outside, soak up some sun, and keeps the joints active as you bend and crouch to tend to your plants. It’s also a great form of self-satisfaction, which boosts your mood and prevents depression. Watching your plants grow is like finishing a work of art. You’ve put so much time and effort into it, the satisfaction you feel once it’s “completed” leaves you feeling greatly accomplished.
Attending events in your town or city is an excellent way to feel connected to your community. Not only do these events help you get out and about, but they also give you a sense of belonging. Some examples of community events include:
- Museum Events – You can check out the latest exhibits on display, or go see a new art gallery that’s being shown. Not to mention, many museums have their own activity calendars and their own events. Keep an eye out and see what’s going on week to week!
- Local Sports Game – Cheer with the home crowd! If you really want to feel like you belong with your local community, there’s nothing like participating in chants and ovations for your favorite team. You can go see a professional team or even your grandchild’s little league game! Sports are always fun to enjoy with the people around you.
- Farmers Market – Picking out some fresh fruits and vegetables at your local farmers market is a great way to get out and get moving. Not to mention, it’s an excellent way to eat healthy! As the saying goes, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone when it comes to healthy living.
- Movie Theater – There are many communities that offer special outdoor movie nights during the summer months. You can also enjoy a movie if it is an especially hot afternoon, which is great because often times ticket prices are cheaper for afternoon matinees. However, you can also organize your own movie night and get together with some friends to enjoy a movie that you all might like.
- Music Venue – Who doesn’t love hearing live music?! If the opportunity ever arises, get out to a local music venue and hear some tunes. Make sure you’re checking the activity calendars of local venues to see if a show you’d really enjoy is coming up.
Take a Walk
It’s always good to try and work in some cardio while you’re enjoying your summer activities. It helps strengthen muscles and improves your heart health. If a walk is possible, it’s best to start slow and then eventually work up to longer outings. This will improve your endurance and lessen your chances of a debilitating fall. Just think of these strolls as sightseeing with an added bonus!
Be a Tourist
This is a much easier task if you live around a city, because there are many things you can do, such as taking an open-air bus to the local sights or even a boat tour if you live by the water. The reason these activities are so great is because it gets you both outside, but you don’t necessarily have to be walking if mobility is an issue.
If you don’t live by a major city, you can just go for a Sunday drive around town. This allows for you to check out all of happenings in the community. Or you can simply reconnect with a town or city you haven’t visited in a while. You can see all of the new construction, blooming flowers and trees, or even festivals and community events that may be going on at that time.
If you have a favorite snack or restaurant that picks your spirits right up, plan a trip to visit it in the near future. Instead of limiting this indulgence to a special occasion, make it an outing with all of your friends. This could consist of getting an ice cream cone from a local shop, a pastry from your favorite breakfast spot, or a lunch special from the diner around the corner. Don’t hold back!